PhD in Health Sciences, Makerere University
All Colleges offer PhD degrees by Research. Applicants for PhD by research should have a Master’s degree in a field relevant to their area of further studies. Applicants will be required to submit on-line applications their applications on line any time in Room 410, Level 4 with a synopsis. For further information, please visit our website http://rgt.mak.ac.ug check on applying.
Duration of programmes
|Postgraduate Diplomas||One Academic Year|
|Masters degrees (full time)||Two Academic Years|
|Masters degrees (part time)||Three – Four Academic Years|
|Masters of Medicine||Three Academic Years|
|Master of Public Health (Day)||Two Academic Years|
|Master of Public Health (Distance)||Three to Five Academic Years|
|PhD (Provisional Admission)||Once Academic Year (Maximum)|
|PhD (Full Admission)||Three Academic Years|
|PhD/MD/LLD (full time)||Three Academic Years|
|PhD/MD/LLD (part time)||Five Academic Years|
Makerere University Online Application Portal Userguide
- Visit the Makerere University’s Admissions URL https://apply.mak.ac.ug and generate a Payment Reference Number (PRN) by following the guide below.
- Sign up using full name, e-mail and Mobile No. Please note that your name must be similar to the one on your supporting academic documents for your application to be considered valid.
- A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile number.
- The system will prompt you to change the password to the one you can easily remember.
- To fill a form the applicant clicks on the APPLY NOW button diplayed on the appropriate scheme i.e. Postgraduate and Taught PhD or PhD Research
- Obtain a payment advice slip by clicking on “Pay for Form” button
- Make a payment at any of the following Banks:
- Post Bank
- Centenary Bank
- DFCU Bank
- UBA Bank
- Print 2 copies of the filled system generated biodata form and attach 2 certified copies of your academic documents, 2 copies of all other relevant academic documents, 2 passport photos and the three referees’ letters of recommendation. You can access the referees’ letter by folowing the link below: https://rgt.mak.ac.ug/sites/default/files/file-attachments/Referee-Letter-of-Recommendation-for-Admission-to-Graduate-Programme.pdf
- Submit in office No. 307/308; level 3 Senate Building.
- PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING A PAYMENT REFERENCE NUMBER FOR PAYMENT OF APPLICATION FEES
- Go the payment reference site: https://payments.mak.ac.ug
- Fill in your name;
- Fill in your email;
- Fill in your telephone number – Go to the next
- Click on the option number;
- Application fee = Ugx 50,000 (East African applicants) or UGx 151,500 (International Applicants)
- the pay reference number
- Go o the Bank and pay
For foreign applicants, application fees can be transferred either by EFT or any other means in UGX to a designated URA collection accound in Bank of Uganda as follows:
Account Name: UGANDA REVENUE AUTHORITY COLLECTIONS
Account No: 003410158000002
Swift Code: UGBAUGKAU
Bank Name: BANK OF UGANDA
Bank Address: KAMPALA, UGANDA
Currency: UGANDA SHILLINGS
- Strictly observe the closing date of Friday, 27th May, 2022.
- All Applicants for Master of Laws (LLM) will do a Graduate Admission Test (GAT) consisting of an oral Interview and written test on dates and other requirements to be communicated by the School.
- All Applicants for Master of Business Administration (College of Business and Management Sciences and Makerere University Business School) will do a GMAT test on dates to be communicated by College of Business and Management Sciences and Makerere University Business School respectively.
- In addition to the general admission requirements, applicants for Master of Public Infrastructure Management (MPIM) must have “Proven professional experience of at least 2 years at managerial/supervisory leve! or policy-decision making position in a government, parastatal organ, international organisation or non-governmental organisation” Applicants should attach a 2- page short CV and referee recommendations.
Alfred Masikye Namoah